It seems there are some people in the Internet Marketing space who have a few things to learn about control and being able to predict the future. I have often said “own the racecourse, not the race horse” It was a lesson I had learned whilst running a large business.
The repeating cycle of avoidable hardship
As early as my first full year of online marketing (2006) I identified that many people online making a strategic error online building on other people’s platforms. Every year without fail I see the crying bleats of web marketers who have fallen foul of this simplistic error.
- Originally it was AdSense. Google shut down a lot of ‘traffic equalizer’ auto -gen sites in 2006
- Then came Adwords. Affiliates everywhere were complaining after they were shut down from their accounts.
- Next was YouTube shutting down people’s videos
- Then there was the great Google slaps knocking out blog networks. Panda, Penguin etc…
- Amazon cleared out all the spammy Kindles
- Apple are getting stricter with app submissions
- Now people are complaining about Facebook not showing their free content to everyone…
When was it ever a good idea to be single platform dependant?
Never. It is never been a good idea to build your business on other people’s platforms because they will change. As an employee I knew exactly how much compromise you invite when all of your income is coming from one place. It is risky. Hence my affinity for ownership. When you aren’t using a platform that you can control, then you have no say in the choices they make.
So what should you do today is…
You should identify which assets and which platforms you are utilizing belong to other people. Make a plan around what you wil do when they stop working. Realize that when you use someone else’s platform they can change the rules at any time and then most probably will. They owe you nothing. Especially when it is a free service.
Build on your own website and create your own marketing list/database
And this is especially important if you build your business around supplying people from a certain platform. I have an SEO service that does seven figures a year worth of SEO and it primarily focuses on Google ranking results. There is a very good reason why not more than 50% of my income is coming from any single business. The rest of my income comes from Non-Google dependent businesses. Such as a Mastermind and coaching services.
If your business supplies customers and it depends on one platform…
Make sure you know where the exit door is . As a minimum know what the big pivot might be. Take an inventory of all the core skills and assets your business contains so that you can move in a new direction quickly if required. It’s a good idea to know exactly where the back door is when you walk in the front door. For example, I ensure we have a strong research and development team. This remains our advantage in staying on top of ever shifting market changes.
Utilize other people’s platforms to bring people to your website and into your list
Once you earn the customer relationship on your terms, that’s when you will have a strong business. The next time you here someone having a moan about a big company ‘slapping’ them keep in mind that they are really allowing themselves to be slapped.
- Affiliate (116)
- Apps (2)
- Business growth (27)
- Content (11)
- Conversions (64)
- Domaining (3)
- How To (179)
- Interview (60)
- James Schramko (150)
- Lifestyle (25)
- List Building (49)
- Local Business (3)
- News (48)
- Outsourcing (3)
- Podcast (63)
- PPC (24)
- Product creation (13)
- Product launch (8)
- Review (12)
- SEO (49)
- Social Media (8)
- Traffic (95)
- Video (50)
- Video Marketing Case Study With Jake Hower
- Building An Effective Autoresponder Sequence For Your Online Business
- The Most Powerful Marketing You Can Use In Your Business – An Own The Racecourse Case Study
- Dan Andrews And James Schramko Discuss Successful Podcasting, Super Productivity and Market Leadership Trends
- The TIM [Time Income and Mobility] Formula Explained with Tim Conley and James Schramko
- Victoria Gibson Discusses How To Build Your Business Faster Using Facebook Marketing
- James on Building An Effective Autoresponder Sequence For Your Online Business
- Ckcbolster on Building An Effective Autoresponder Sequence For Your Online Business
- alannahheaton on Video Marketing Case Study With Jake Hower
- James on Double Digit CTR (For PPC Marketers) Launched!
- Ben on Double Digit CTR (For PPC Marketers) Launched!
- Jake Hower on Video Marketing Case Study With Jake Hower
- Genesis WordPress Update May 17, 2013New updates coming out soon… In this episode: 00:07 – The big difference with the new version is _______ 00:32 – What if the upgrade is not quite right? 01:00 – We can take care of your website for you Get your very own mature and established domains from us Looking for premium web design [...]Genesis WordPress Update is a post from: Super Fast Business with […]
- Weekly Digest May 17 2013 May 17, 2013In this week’s episodes we bring you effective profit-boosting tips, business insights and updates on SEO and our live event. How Do They Do It? Some online businesses seem to know your every move. It’s a sneaky marketing trick that you can use yourself to make relevant offers that are likely to convert. Discover [...]Weekly Digest May 17 2013 is a post fr […]
- Are You In Good SEO Shape? May 16, 2013Find out if you’re ready for Google’s 2013 SEO update. Traffic news highlights: 00:10 – What can we expect from Google this year? 01:34 – R____ over-optimized pages 02:35 – Get more traffic by _____ 02:47 – Let us create content for you 03:00 – Properly syndicate your multimedia content 03:58 – Check your link [...]Are You In Good SEO Shape? is a post from: […]
- FastWebFormula 4 Mindmap Download May 16, 2013Discover what’s in store for you at the FastWebFormula 4 live event this June. Video Highlights: 01:06 – The FWF4 mind map 01:44 – Amazing business feats 03:55 – Million-dollar content creation 04:55 – Everything e-commerce 05:18 – Witness a live podcast recording 06:29 – One of my best life lessons 07:19 – My favorite [...]FastWebFormula 4 Mindmap Download […]
- How To Protect Yourself From Getting Bad Advice May 14, 2013Do you want to find out how you can separate good advice from the bad? This week’s highlights: 00:10 – Here’s what my grandfather told me… 00:41 – What people tell you are just ______ For more business tips, join SilverCircle FastWebFormula 4 is happening soon. Reserve your tickets now James Schramko here with [...]How To Protect Yourself From Getting Bad […]